Monday, January 28, 2013

Fluorescence

The book "Fluorescence" is a very interesting, yet confusing book that we had to read in Creative Writing. There's huge gaps in between sentences and blank pages just scattered everywhere. Sometimes there's a chapter title and sometimes there's not. Splitting us up into groups help me understand these poems like ten times better. And then hearing what other groups say about the poem they had to talk about helps me, also. The first section of this book was the most confusing to me. The very first page, Trace 3, the poem is spaced really weird. And even though there is no right way to write a poem, I don't know whether I should pause or just read it like normal. It's very hard for me to understand what these poems are about, I have to sit there and read it over and over a couple times and then it might start to make sense.
In chapter one, though, it wasn't as hard to understand. The poem was still confusing, but there were key words in there that you could use to guess what it was about. Also, in class, a group talked about chapter one and made me understand the whole poem entirely.
Chapter two, when I read it for the first time all i knew was that it was about some explosion. But another group talked about this chapter, which helped me understand it more.

The in class discussions help me so much, clearly.

Chapter three was the chapter I had to discuss with my group and my favorite chapter in the whole book. I liked this chapter because it was about sadness and suicide. It just seemed more "real" to me than the other ones. I can relate to this one more than the others. She uses a bunch of colors throughout the whole book, but in this chapter she seemed to have only used shade of blue. She also used other colors to give you a better picture in your head of what she was picturing. But the overall poem had more of a blue shade to it. Which makes you kind of feel the sadness that she was feeling.
Chapter four was a lot like chapter three. It was still about suicide, but it listed off all the things that you would end up killing yourself over. At least, that is what I got from it. This was the only poem that I read the first time and actually understood what she was trying to say.
Everything after chapter four was confusing for me. There were no chapters, just little titles above each poem. Each poem was different, like the words were either in paragraph form or they were scattered all over the place. As for me understanding them... no, I did not understand them at all. I guess I'll just have to wait until class tomorrow to see what they were about. My favorite one, though, would have to be "She Feels Very Small" and that is only because of the title.

1 comment:

  1. Really great response. Nice job working through the poems even though they are difficult!

    ReplyDelete